Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Mason family has a new addition… Moshi!

Moshi is an 11 year old male Moluccan Cockatoo.  He was inherited by a family who could no longer care for him.  We know very little about the guy and it’s only been a week since we brought him home.  What we do know is that he is extremely shy and nervous.  He does not let Ron or I pick him up (yet) but he does come in and out of his cage on command.  I open the door and say, “You can come out Moshi”.  He’ll then come out and climb to the top of his cage.  When we want him to go back inside we’ll say, “Moshi, time to go back in your house” and he’ll climb down and go back inside. 

He likes when we sit near his cage and talk to him quietly.  He’ll ruffle his cheek feathers and watch us.  Every day, when I arrive home from work, I’ll sit next to his cage and talk about my day.  Even though he won’t let me touch him, he’s become much calmer as the days have passed.  I think he’s learning to trust us and I realize it may be awhile before he’s comfortable enough to step up onto our hand.  That’s okay though, there’s no need to hurry and we’re more than content with moving at a slower pace.

Although Moshi is shy with people he’s certainly not bashful when it comes to people food.  He jumps face first into almost everything we’ve given him.  He’s not a big fan of the bird pellets so we might have to get creative if this pattern continues, but he loves his corn, bananas, oranges and mixed vegetables.  He’s willing to try everything at least once so I’m a very happy mom! 

Right now, while I’m typing this blog, Moshi is on top of his house looking down at me.  His cheek feathers are ruffled and covering his beak.  He’s standing on one leg and his eyes are only half open and he appears to be settling down for a little nap.

Here’s a picture of the new guy.  Sorry for the poor quality, the lighting wasn’t too great since the sun never came out to play today.


No comments:

Post a Comment